Contributing To Existing Projects
if for those reasons, probably will not reap other core benefits
This is what you are going for.
@petejohanson i am currently evaluating hy-res. love it so far. thanks and keep on the good work. expect casual pull requests. :)
— Dennis Wilson (@snnd) August 5, 2015
Scratch An Itch!
plugins to existing projects e.g. Polymer Element, Drupal Module
More Than You Can Chew?
dont rewrite ActiveRecord for 1st project
- Existing community to build off
- Leverage existing tools, testing, etc.
De Facto OSS Repository
- Collaboration of One (To Start)
- Low Hanging Fruit » help wanted
Not only easier for you, but easier for other to use/contribute
- Living Documentation
- Show Best Practices
- Too early, and they bit rot or get out of sync
- Tutorial/blog posts provide narrative
- Make API documentation part of your workflow
- Improve Quality
- Inspire Confidence In Potential Contributors
- Security Blanket
- Lends credence to project
MVP assures that potential contributors have something to work with.
Leverage Existing Communities
Plugin/extension as first project helps
- Mainling Lists/Google Groups
- Social Media
Your FirstOpen Source Project
Pete Johanson / @petejohanson